Responding to the Government consultation on increasing collaboration between emergency services, the Independent Chairman of the Arson Prevention Forum, Lee Howell, today (22nd October 2015) said:
"The Arson Prevention Forum does not have a defined position on the most appropriate governance structure for the fire or police service but is keen to ensure that any future model delivers enhanced cooperation and collaboration between both the Home Office and DCLG as well as between fire services and police services locally with respect to arson prevention, investigation and prosecution.
There are some excellent examples of good local working relationships but the commitment to reducing arson is not consistent across all areas. Given that 45% of all fires are deliberate, it is our view that more should be done to encourage and support closer working arrangements between insurers, police, fire service, CPS and other parties who have a responsibility for (or interest in) reducing and preventing arson".
Notes to editors:
The Arson Prevention Forum is a strategic stakeholder body formed through a merger of the Government backed Arson Control Forum and the Association of British Insurers Arson Prevention Bureau.
Its strategic objectives are:
- To identify the economic cost of arson.
- To identify statistical trends and manage down the risk of arson.
- To develop a national strategy to reduce deliberate fires highlighting where specific focus of effort from respective partners will be most effective.
- To improve outcomes through the criminal justice system from identification, detection and prosecution of offenders.
- To deliver information to support communities, businesses and organisations through a refreshed website and channels of communication presented by partner organisations.
- To hold an annual conference to share good practice.
- Engage effectively with communities to better inform the setting of local priorities.
- To produce an annual report and consider how and where this is presented.
It's latest report can be found by following this link